Single cylinder research engine
One cylinder, a hundred applications
FEV has developed a family of single cylinder engines (SCE) for combustion research, functional testing, and continuing development of engine components. Six research engine size variants with cylinder bores ranging from 65 mm to 530 mm are available for sale, covering a wide spectrum from passenger cars to large engines. Single cylinder motor test results can be subsequently transferred to all common multi-cylinder derivatives. The modular SCE design makes it possible to adapt the engines to individual client needs with little effort. This makes very specific analyses of almost any component possible, from various piston shapes to modified valve timing. With the help of optical visualization, the tool also allows fundamental combustion research.
Fast and Reliable Tools
The simplified structural design with only one cylinder shortens both the set-up times as well as the component costs. In addition, the reduced fuel consumption (only one cylinder operating) reduces the maintenance costs. The unique layout enables a separation of the various parameters that influence the combustion process. At the same time, disturbing influences can be effectively minimized and new design concepts can be examined on the test bench at an early stage of development.
Flexibility is key
FEV’s single cylinder engines are available with bore-diameters ranging from 65 mm up to 530 mm. In combination with various strokes, cylinder displacements between 0.2 and 155 liters can thus be achieved, with each single-cylinder motor covering a broad displacement range.
From Planning to Commissioning the single cylinder research engine
Over time, FEV has put over 160 single cylinder systems into service. It has completed over ten installations of the new single-cylinder engine family, covering all sizes and various fields of application; These ten most recent installations alone have operated for more than 12,000 hours, demonstrating the system’s practicality and efficiency.
Customer Projects about our single cylinder research engine
The FEV service portfolio goes far beyond installation. FEV’s experts develop comprehensive solutions: In addition to a need-based design of the single cylinder engine, FEV’s services also include integration of the engine into a new or existing test facility. In addition, FEV operates customer-specific single-cylinder engines within its test facilities. To guarantee rapid implementation of the projects, FEV has base modules in various sizes available, which can be used and adapted for customer projects.
Benefits of our single cylinder research engine
- More conclusive test investigation
- Flexible test bed variation
- Optimized interaction between numerical simulation and experiments
- Enables combustion development and hardware testing at an early stage of development
- Allows advanced combustion research with the help of optical visualization
- Fully modular design
- High flexibility / short preparation time
- Bore/Stroke configuration is easily reconfigured due to only a limited number of parts that need to be exchanged
- Preassembly of modules makes quick exchange times possible
- No restrictions regarding boundary conditions (exhaust backpressure, temperatures etc.)
- Customer-specific single cylinder engines can be operated in FEV’s in-house testing environment
- Experienced SCE Team with strong customer service orientation
Characteristics of our single cylinder research engine
- Bore-diameters: 65 mm to 530 mm.
- Cylinder displacements between 0.2 and 155 liters
- Design protects for operation at high loads (300 bar PFP) and engine speeds
Discover our other testing solutions.